Forgot Password?

Register

Back to forum

YOUR REVIEWS » CLEAN LOOKING MODELS GOOD OR BAD?

Oldest
Previous
Next
Newest
There are 30 messages in total. Showing messages 1 to 30.
jills Posted: Oct 8th 2007

I just can't think which film you see Gromit coming towards the screen and his nose has a big fingerprint on it... I love that! Was it in Curse of the Were-Rabbit?

I wonder if I would love as much if they weren't plasticine. Would you? All the work that goes into making the models and stop motion makes them more amazing.

I've heard people on the forum say they like A Grand Day Out best because the characters and sets don't look as polished. I don't like them to look too perfect, either. That's one reason I don't like CGI. How about you?

connor gorman Posted: Oct 8th 2007

same

Harry07 Posted: Oct 8th 2007

Thats What I Think

Bryko614 Posted: Oct 13th 2007

Same with me I loved Grand Day Out for that reason.

haz Posted: Oct 17th 2007

i dont but i hate cgi films

Entwhistle Posted: Oct 18th 2007

As a model maker, I can say that the more you do the better you get at doing it, whether it is your technique or that you just find better maybe faster ways of creating the models. Experience from trying various effects and methods help later when time constraints dictate so your models may well appear more 'polished'. I think every artist goes through the same process. Also when you are creating for an audience you become more self critical of your work so you want it to be better.

jills Posted: Oct 21st 2007

That's interesting, Entwhistle, I just started making things a few weeks ago so I don't know how it is. Hadn't thought that they might start looking better because the artist gets better or finds an easier way- that's interesting. I just assumed they took more time because they could afford to. But that can be part of it too like you said.

mrpianokeys Posted: Dec 16th 2007

have then messy because it's good to show the texture of plasticine other wis it will be boring and look computer generated

Mark the shark Posted: Dec 19th 2007

I like the way that Plasticine shows that you've touched it. And I don't dislike CGI films. In fact, I want to either be a stop-motion animator or CGI animator. There are some CGI films that I've loved all my life, eg. Toy Story. But I think stop-motion is WELL better!

anti-pesto Posted: Feb 7th 2008

i like having my models clean when animating but i do give away that theyve been touched. just 2 show its not CGI which i think is unesesry as nothing can beat a good film filled with tons of plasticine

Mark the shark Posted: Feb 7th 2008

Yeah, good point.:D

jills Posted: Sep 5th 2008

You know someone's a good animator when they go from trying to get their models smooth and looking clean to adding imperfections so we don't think it's CGI!

Chocachoc Posted: Sep 5th 2008

I dont mind cgi but i really move things that have made with real things (plasticine)

Pingu has turned CGI apparantly! :O

plasjas Posted: Sep 25th 2008

i think clean models are nice. Their is a difference between clean and fingerprinted models. How would you feel if wallace was dirty with bits of dirt and dust on his face. But because he is fingerprited doesn't mean he is dirty. I think cgi is ok and respect the people to it. It is very difficult to do cgi but stop motion is better i think cause it feels more realistic

jills Posted: Sep 28th 2008

Well thought out opinion. When it comes to the dust and such in the air, I don't know how animators keep their models actually clean. They must have air purifiers running all the time.

plasjas Posted: Sep 30th 2008

you know what i mean jills. If wallace was engrained with hairs and bits of dirt and mixed with other colours it would lose it's appeal. The models are really well done

jills Posted: Oct 6th 2008

I know what you meant plasjas, and I did mean that you had stated that well-- no sarcasm here! I was serious about wondering how they keep the models so clean, I mean, do wet wipes really work? Because no matter how tidy I try to keep things, it seems lots of bits find their way onto my models. I keep them covered usually, with plastic, too

plasjas Posted: Oct 6th 2008

eeerm i just well i don't know i just keep everything seperate. That helps i used to just have a massive mush of plasticine and tried to scavange bits of colour off it then i got organised yeah

Harry Posted: Oct 18th 2008

I have seen lots of pictures and videos of Animators on set and when there not animating they have a peice of Cling Film over the top of the model covering it all from dust. It does not have to be pushed on as it only needs to be holding by the top of the head.

jills Posted: Oct 19th 2008

Hi Harry, thanks ;)

Nofby Posted: Oct 19th 2008

There are different ways of making puppets than using plasticine. Its not the only way. Build-up, Foam latex, liquid latex, slush-cast, hard heads, replacement heads, replacement mouths, fabric clothing etc.

So, not all animators get that problem. I think that this forum is more devoted to just using plasticine, so when I saw that Ursut was experimenting with fabric clothes, I was quite pleased.

Untill up to now, on the puppets I've made, I haven't used plasticine much, normally latex or hard heads.

But on this film I'm using clay for the heads and hands, and fabricated clothes over foam cvered armatures (Foam gives limbs shapes and make the puppet easier to animate with clothes)

'Cleaner' is DEFINATELY the best. Its how you sculpt and smooth the clay that matters. You always want the clay to be clean from dirt and dust etc. You just need to find that mix between over smoothed and rough sculpting. Define the features and make the sculpt lively and realistic, not so clean and smoothed its like marshmallow.

crackin cheese Posted: Oct 26th 2008

they are way better when there made out of plasticine and nick park said its an ardman trademark to have fingerprints on them

crackersandcheese Posted: Oct 26th 2008

i think it looks cool that you can see the fingerprints on the models. It shows it's not just all computer animated!!! I also luv the bug fingerprint on Gromits nose

thetopbun Posted: Dec 13th 2008

Sometimes if the fingerprints show up differently every frame then it looks slightly weird cos it looks like their skin/clothes/plasticine are moving around. If you look at and In the curse of the were-rabbit and you see lady Tottington speaking to Wallace when he finishes with the BV6000 her skin flails around at her neck!

thespazicat Posted: Dec 21st 2008

cgi is okay, but stopmotion is the best.

thetopbun Posted: Dec 21st 2008

Yeh I agree!

TopBun out of Chocaspazibunianby staff

crackingtoast Posted: Dec 26th 2008

stop-motion with plastecine has a great touch,like a mini-world. there something great about that. i personally like the models in the wrong trousers because they where nice and fingerprinty though not dirty. i don't like amolad so much because it's all polished and non-finger printy

cool chris Posted: Dec 26th 2008

cracking tost amolad is fingerprinty

FlufflesRocks-xx Posted: Dec 26th 2008

!OUTRAGE!
Walace and Gromit wouldn't be Walace and Gromit if they weren't plasticine!
I love it how you can see the fingerprints and sometimes (I spotted it once or twice in COTWR) you can see the stop motion!!!
Love

crackingtoast Posted: Dec 29th 2008

cool chris,compare amolad models to twt models. the wrong trousers ones are much more fingerprinty,amolad ones have got fingerprints,but hardly

The forums are now closed. For all the latest Wallace & Gromit activity and discussion visit the news section of the website

Are you sure you wish to hide this message? You will not be able to read it again.

Are you sure you wish to report this message to our Moderation Team?
You will not be able to read it again.

Ay up chuck! We use cookies to ensure you get a top-notch experience on our website. To find out more view our privacy policy.