Forgot Password?

Register

Back to forum
Oldest
Previous
Next
Newest
There are 13 messages in total. Showing messages 1 to 13.
ClayGirl223 Posted: Apr 29th 2013

Does anybody know how they make things fly in claymation??? Without glass? I really need to know

MrTechnoTrousers Posted: Apr 30th 2013

Ye often a thing called masking i think is used where you need an editing software and you get an original picture with nobody there of the set and then one of the character attached to a block of some kind or something similar on the ground, then you layer them up and basicaly rub out the block or whatever you choose to use

MrTechnoTrousers Posted: Apr 30th 2013

If you need extra help there are youtube tutorials on it, just type in masking tutorial or something similar.

hope this helped :)

iantimothy Posted: Apr 30th 2013

yeah, that is the basic idea. usually it isn't a block, It's usually done with rigging, either wire or metal rods holds the character.

iantimothy Posted: Apr 30th 2013

Sometimes it isn't even when the character is flying, even if the character is standing or walking rigging will sometimes be used.

samuelhayward Posted: May 1st 2013

It's a bit tricky, but a cheap option is suspending your character by fishing wire, then paint the fishing wire the colour of your backdrop.

iantimothy Posted: May 1st 2013

No! Don't use fishing wire!!!!!! You won't be able to conatron the character, just build a aluminum  wire rig holding the character up from the set floor.

MrTechnoTrousers Posted: May 1st 2013

Ian is right, fishing wire will just make for a non smooth animation and will mean it will not look very good

samuelhayward Posted: May 2nd 2013

I use glass, I've never used fishing wire so I don't know.

I got that info from Cracking Animation. Also on Renne the Reindeer production they used fishing wire for some shots.

I just meant that it was an affordable alternative, for those, who can't afford all the software that removes rigs. 

iantimothy Posted: May 3rd 2013

Glass can work as well. But now with cameras getting so much better it is a lot harder to hide it. I am animating a flying vulture right now, I will post a picture of my rig later. 

Here is an image of one of my rigs, it is very simple, just a few different thicknesses of wire. It holds up the bird, but is still moveable. When I take the frames I take one without the bird or the rig, so I can use that to erase the rig to reveal the clean plate. 

hmm, it doesn't seem to want to upload, I will try again later.

ClayGirl223 Posted: Aug 12th 2013

Thanks so much!!!!')">

The forums are now closed. For all the latest Wallace & Gromit activity and discussion visit the news section of the website

Are you sure you wish to hide this message? You will not be able to read it again.

Are you sure you wish to report this message to our Moderation Team?
You will not be able to read it again.

Ay up chuck! We use cookies to ensure you get a top-notch experience on our website. To find out more view our privacy policy.