Forgot Password?

Register

Back to forum

ARTS, CRAFTS & COOKERY » SETS, PER CHANCE?

Oldest
Previous
Next
Newest
There are 44 messages in total. Showing messages 1 to 44.
Mark the shark Posted: Dec 18th 2007

Hello, once again, it is Mark the Shark here. I am wondering if anyone knows how to build sets a good way. Thank you. My film is coming soon.:D

jordan Posted: Dec 18th 2007

ive made afew now :)

Mark the shark Posted: Dec 19th 2007

What are they like and how did you make them?

Mark the shark Posted: Dec 21st 2007

Please don't make me beg in this forum too!!!:'(I ask for a couple of bits of help and I have to beg to get people to answer them!!!!:'(

springwizard Posted: Dec 21st 2007

Sometimes the best backdrop is a room in a dollhouse.

cavor Posted: Dec 22nd 2007

Here is a couple of pictures of a set of mine made from 6mm ply, on the ends of the ply I have glued and pinned 18mm x 18mm square soft wood battens, in picture 2 you will be able to see how two corners are temporarily clamped together with a spring clamp.

Harry Posted: Dec 22nd 2007

Well done, Great Work

Mark the shark Posted: Dec 22nd 2007

Yeah, wow. Those sets are really good! :)

How did you make the door?

Mark the shark the door is made of 4mm plywood with more strips of 4mm ply creating the framing for the panelled door.

I believe you can get a foam card faced board that you could make similar type door with

Just try and find different materials and experiment

Mark the shark and Harry glad you liked it.

Thanks Cavor. You've helped me a lot recently. Thank you!:);):D

jordan Posted: Dec 24th 2007

all of mine are made of wood

Mark the shark Posted: Dec 26th 2007

How do you shape them with wood?

jordan Posted: Dec 26th 2007

? , 3 walls if its a room set

cavor Posted: Dec 26th 2007

Some times having plain backdrops for your animations works better, putting the emphasis on the animation.

Mark the shark Posted: Dec 26th 2007

Plain backdrops...Paintings, per chance?:)

Mark the shark Posted: Jan 5th 2008

Where the hell is everyone?

Squish Posted: Feb 23rd 2008

Well since I'm kinda new to this, I use plain ol' cardboard boxes. I would also like some tips on how to relatively cheap sets.

Mark the shark Posted: Feb 23rd 2008

Right. Thanks.;)

gromitnhutch4ever Posted: Mar 2nd 2008

A shoebox with wallpaper or wrapping paper inside it, per chance?

jordan Posted: Mar 9th 2008

my sets coming along nicely, just cut out teh "glass" for the windows today

purple and brown Posted: Mar 9th 2008

any pic's

Mark the shark Posted: Mar 29th 2008

OK.;)

jordan Posted: Mar 29th 2008

its coming along nicly mine is....

jordan Posted: Apr 2nd 2008

whoo stuff for it been ordered cant wait... so excited!!!!

jordan Posted: Apr 4th 2008

i used foamcore once never again will i use it!

sidmjam Posted: Apr 4th 2008

ohhh was it bad?

jordan Posted: Apr 4th 2008

if you cut holes in it for windows etc, it becomes very flimsy and can bend very easily. i build everything out of mdf now

sidmjam Posted: Apr 4th 2008

ok

Zebrafish Posted: Apr 5th 2008

Whats mdf? sorry for being a little stupid

jordan Posted: Apr 5th 2008

Fibre Board "Wood" is old wood remade into new wood by machine the old pieces get churned up and then squashed and compacted to make "wood" "MDF"

cavor Posted: Apr 5th 2008

Warning You should always wear a prop mask when machining MDF (Can be hazardous to helf) the mask rating is FFP2 or higher like a fume mask, premium welding mask.

Mdf can be great to cut and shape but be careful my friends.

Most paper masks I have seen up for sale are only rated FFP1 and wont do the job, I Have bought some MDF today for some shelves and noticed the masks on sale at the counter were rated FFP2 so B & Q is good for your MDF needs;)

Mark the shark Posted: Apr 5th 2008

Hi guys. This thread is suddenly rather old! :O

Nofby Posted: Apr 7th 2008

Hey Mark, there are many ways to build a cheap easy set.

Wood- MDF, balsa or other wood care really good for walls, houses,props,fences etc.

Foamcore- brilliant easy set material that is great for the same things as wood except props and fences!

Cardboard- sounds cheap and rubbish, but thick corrugared cardboard can be good for small sets. You can cover it with paper mache or plaster for a really good textured look.

Wire mesh- can be sculpted into various irregular shapes if your film is stylized.

There are many more ways of building a set too.

Print off brick work- you can create brickwork patterns in paint or photoshop to print off for a cheap solutution

plaster- a must have for set building, can add texture, bricks and all sorts.

paper mache-cheap solution for building up areas of your set.

8)

VincentAnimations01 Posted: May 12th 2008

Heres a pic of my greenhouse set called green roots.

VincentAnimations01 Posted: May 12th 2008

I meant from my film called Green Roots. (Its about walking talking Vegetables) As seen below.

cinders1 Posted: May 19th 2008

wow vincent animations, looks like youve been really busy, your set looks great, well done:) when do we get to see your animation?

VincentAnimations01 Posted: May 19th 2008

Its on 'Your Creations' page 3. Called Green roots.

Mark the shark Posted: Jun 4th 2008

Thank you everyone! ;)

Matt08 Posted: Jun 16th 2008

I like the idea of using MDF, I was still under the impression that foamboard would be a good base for sets, but from what people have said, I can understand the cons of using it.
One question I do have is, how do you get the door to open and close, are there some sort of scaled down hinges used? Or is it much simpler than that?

plasjas Posted: Oct 16th 2008

i got SOme MDF the other day i used to just use my wooden desk and my plain white wall but then i painted it orande ....

hangeraun Posted: Nov 12th 2008

The good thing about balsa and foam cor is that you can use them without wood working tools. You only need a good knife a straight edge, pva and pins and your away.
You can use foam cor for a base, but you need to strengthen it by making it into a shallow box, with strips underneath.
The trick with doors is to trim them so that they're a little smaller than the doorway, then fix them in using a neat piece of masking tape up the front when it's closed, then open the door and tape it up the back making sure that the two pieces of tape make contact.

The forums are now closed. For all the latest Wallace & Gromit activity and discussion visit the news section of the website

Are you sure you wish to hide this message? You will not be able to read it again.

Are you sure you wish to report this message to our Moderation Team?
You will not be able to read it again.

Ay up chuck! We use cookies to ensure you get a top-notch experience on our website. To find out more view our privacy policy.