Forgot Password?

Register

Back to forum

ARTS, CRAFTS & COOKERY » HOW DO YOU MAKE A WIRE ARMATURE WITHOUT EPOXY

Oldest
Previous
Next
Newest
There are 17 messages in total. Showing messages 1 to 17.
person 1 Posted: Sep 3rd 2008

i have been making some wire armatures but the joints are always moving about. i have not used epoxy because i've heard it's quite toxic, is there something else i can use?:D

plasjas Posted: Sep 15th 2008

hmmmm.... have you tried foam and epoxy glue...wait you don't want that... b&s armatures are good, ill see if i can try make something without epoxy

animation boy Posted: Sep 15th 2008

then you've heard wrong my friend. A good epoxy would be milliput which isnt at all toxic!!

plasjas Posted: Sep 16th 2008

Nofby Posted: Sep 21st 2008

Milliput is harmful and irritant to skin, and some can have allergic reactions.

animation boy Posted: Oct 4th 2008

maybe you have a reaction?

because me, and my brother have used milliput for years and never experienced an irritation of any sought.

it may give an allergic reaction , but so can anything i guess.

btw..hows filimg going nofby?? :)

lmlm6819 Posted: Oct 22nd 2008

hey guys,
i use epoxy all the time for armatures, its not toxic unless u eat it or shuv it up ur nose. milliput isnt an epoxy, its an air drying clay and does not really work so well for glueing joints, they will jst fall out. u will only have a reaction to milliput if u have sensitive skin and have had a reaction to other clays.
if u still dnt want to use epoxy, jst use a hot glue gun, not as strong as epoxy, but it does the job!!

laura
x

Nofby Posted: Oct 25th 2008

Lol, I don't have a reaction. It says on the packet what I stated though. If you use it for years and years it can start to cause you irration from what I've heard. As lmlm said, its only harmfull for sensitive skin. Yea, use 2 part epoxy glue for glueing armatures.

plasjas Posted: Oct 25th 2008

i use slow drying for my armatures as i keep forgeting to get quick from b&q i think i will get some now

byaboy Posted: Jan 5th 2009

Im using the plasic wire that are used to conext the Toys to the Boxs.

thetopbun Posted: Jan 5th 2009

Use wire...

potatoes63 Posted: Jan 5th 2009

I FOUND THE SOLUTION!!! you can use a hot glue gun. i use epoxy or super glue, then after it drys i cover it with a hot glue gun treatment... if you dont like that the hot glue is too stiff, then certainly try using the kind of super glue that is made for rubbery or foamy surfaces, because when it drys it becomes glossy and rubbery.:)

potatoes63 Posted: Jan 9th 2009

hello? has anyone tried it? or wat? does anyone know a better way?

Boffin Posted: Jan 10th 2009

I make my armatures using aluminium wire and polymer clay (Sculpey or Fimo) with PVC tubing for the "bones". Here is a link to the instructions:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=jXB46e1fkXQ

samG Posted: Jan 11th 2009

whao whao whao

milliput is toxic ok it can be irritant and always wash your hands after using it. any epoxy putty is toxic the only things like epoxy putty that isnt toxic is fimo which is like plastercine but you bake it for it to dry rock solid. and fimo can be used for a lot of things that epoxy putty can do. and you can file milliput but make sure u wear a dust mask and sand it in a well ventilated area.

i know it sounds like im going on a bit but i dont want younger kids on here using milliput without knowing it is toxic. so it is safe just dont eat it and wash your hands after or where latex gloves while using it.

regars

sam

potatoes63 Posted: Jan 12th 2009

i watched the video and that is very clever, using pvc piping.... thx.

Nofby Posted: Jan 13th 2009

samG, that is what I explained earlier.

The forums are now closed. For all the latest Wallace & Gromit activity and discussion visit the news section of the website

Are you sure you wish to hide this message? You will not be able to read it again.

Are you sure you wish to report this message to our Moderation Team?
You will not be able to read it again.

Ay up chuck! We use cookies to ensure you get a top-notch experience on our website. To find out more view our privacy policy.